Monday, August 25, 2008

Foyle's Peace?

Much buzzing on the blogs (eg Random Jottings) that Foyle's War is returning as Foyle's Peace. The Daily Mail has the following to say:
The final episode of Foyle’s War may have ended conclusively with the characters celebrating VE Day – but it seems the much-loved ITV1 drama is set for a post-war revival.

In an exclusive interview with The Mail on Sunday, star of the show Honeysuckle Weeks reveals that Foyle’s War has given way to a new series entitled Foyle’s Peace.

Honeysuckle, who plays driver Samantha Stewart to Michael Kitchen’s Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle, said: ‘I have the contracts so they’ve got quite far with it and, although I haven’t seen scripts, the idea is that it’ll be set after the Second World War.
and
Details of the new show have yet to be finalised, but Michael Kitchen is expected to reprise his role and Foyle’s peacetime exploits are likely to feature Sam more prominently.

Yet, according to Honeysuckle, in spite of the popularity of her character, her fee will remain the same.

She said: ‘My fee is not going up one bit. I’m a bit nice. I think I should be more of a prima donna.

‘But they probably won’t be able to afford Julian Ovenden any more because he has made a huge hit series in America [Cashmere Mafia], so they’ll have to pay him an awful lot of money or Sam will probably get dumped again.’
Read the whole article on the Daily Mail site.

Now, can anything be done about reinstating the axed Inspector Lynley mysteries?

5 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

How wonderful - you really can't go wrong with Michael Kitchen - I hope they come back soon!

But please please please keep the dreadful Inspector Lynley well away from the cameras - it's terrible!!!

==:O

Axxx

hrh said...

Just popping in to say I agree with Anne Brooke on both points. Though she might want to catch the last eppie of Lynley if only to see "our Sam" (Honeysuckle Weeks) in quite a different role! Good actress!

Kate Linnea Welsh said...

Yay! I love Foyle et al. Didn't Cashmere Mafia get canceled, anyway? Maybe Ovenden will come back?

Anne Brooke said...

Ooh, thanks for the tip, HRH - I might have to overcome my Lynley allergy just to see the glorious Honeysuckle!

:))

Axxx

hrh said...

You're quite welcome, Anne. I even recorded it when my second PBS station replayed it. It's such a contrast to Sam. And even just within the Lynley episode, HW shows quite a range.

It wouldn't actually bother me too much, kat with a k, if Ovenden didn't come back. I thought he was the weakest of the actors in FW. Andrew must take after his mother! (Though he is nice to look at, I'll grant you.)

As long as MK and HW are back, so am I!